Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Cambridgeshire > Cambridge > Freemasons Arms

Freemasons Arms

Picture Source: John Turner


 

The Freemasons Arms was situated at 70 Bridge Street This pub is now in retail use.
 

From: An Inventory of the Historic Monuments in the City of Cambridge.
Lindum House, No 70 Bridge Street, is of 2 and 3 storeys. It is in the main an early C19 building incorporating part of a C18 structure on the S; projecting E is a lower, C17 wing. The oldest walls are plastered timber framing; the roofs are tiled. The house was formerly the 'Freemasons' Tavern'. Inside are stop chamfered ceiling beams on the ground floor and on the first floor where also the wall posts are. The roof has collar beam trusses.
 
From: St John's Triangle, Cambridge. An Archaeological Excavation and Watching Brief
70 Bridge Street is known to have functioned as an inn or tavern throughout most of its early existence. A pit containing large quantities of late 16th/early 17th century refuse was encountered to the rear of the premises during archaeological investigation, together with a discrete dump of early 17th century bellarmines, and both are likely to have originated from the tavern yard. The early names for the inn include "The Wild Man" and "The Flying Stag". These findings indicate that the standing structure is most probably late 16th century as opposed to 17th century in origin, a view supported by its probable depiction in Hammond's plan of 1592. By the mid 18th century this establishment became known as "The Royal Oak", and by the mid 19th century it was called "The Freemason's Arms", before becoming a private residence and renamed Lindum House by the end of the 19th century. St John's Music School was established beside Lindum House in 1874, at which time it appears to have been used as the school masters residence. The Disney Professor of Archaeology, Glyn Daniel moved into Lindum House (which he renamed the Flying Stag) in 1955, and edited the journal Antiquity from the former school room, before his death in 1986.
 

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page.