Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Gloucestershire > Tetbury > Eight Bells

Eight Bells

 

Click above photo to expand

Picture source: Hania Franek


The Eight Bells was situated at 14 Church Street. This coaching inn opened in the 1740s and is grade-II listed.  After closing in the 1980s it was converted into a shop with flats above.
 A Grade II Listed 17th century former inn. The Church of St Mary had new bells in 1722 and it is possible the inn was renamed sometime between then and 1740 when it is first recorded as the Eight Bells Inn. It closed as an inn in the 1980s. Directory entries include, 1822- 1830 Ann Buckingham, 1851-1871 Ann Cox, 1881 Raymond W Smith, 1889 Jonathan aka John Pratt, 1894-1916 Robert Palmer, 1923 William C Goulding, 1927-1931 Jas Joseph Long and 1939 Ernest Jsph Long.
Steve Turner (November 2021)
Listed building details:
Former inn, now shop with flats over. C17. Roughcast faced with 2 projecting timber framed gables, jettied on to 4 columns. Cotswold stone slate roof to front, concrete tiles to rear. Central range
with 2 cross gables to street and rear. Stone and brick stacks on rear gables. 2 storeys and attic2 windows, 12-pane sashes with wood architraves. Gables have twin casement each. Ground floor
has 2 wide and shallow 4-pane sashes with vertical boarded aprons and central half-glazed door with 2 flush bottom panels, and additional C20 door to right to passageway. Some interior beams left. Recorded as the Eight Bells Inn by 1740 (new bells were hung in the Church of St Mary (q.v.) in 1722), but thought to have been a re-naming of an existing older inn.
 

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page.
Other Photos

  Copyright Trish Steel and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence