Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Gloucestershire > Tetbury > Talbot Hotel

Talbot Hotel

 

Click above photo to expand

Picture source: Hania Franek


The Talbot Hotel was situated at 14 Market Place. This pub dated from the late 16th century and is grade-II listed. It is now converted to flats.
The former Talbot Hotel is a late 16th century building much altered in the 17th century and with an 18th century front. A beerhouse is recorded here from 1580 and as the Talbot from 1685 but was converted to flats in about 1988. The landlord Mr Roy Speaks had a small archaeological survey carried out in 1985 when a water filled cistern or well was discovered that contained clay pipes and pottery dated to late 17th and early 18th century indicating it was sealed soon after 1720 possibly as part of the 18th century face lift. Directory entries include, 1842-1844 Benjn. Watts (& excise office), 1852 Hannah Watts, 1856-1868 James Webb (& posting house, addressed as Silver St until 1868), 1897 Edwin Webb and 1914 Henry Eddels.
Steve Turner (November 2021)
Listed building details:
Hotel. Late C16 core, mainly mid C17 with early C18 front. Rubble stone with quoins, dressed stone lintels, sill band at 2nd floor level, cornice and coped blocking course. Cotswold stone roof with stone and brick stacks. Front range with 2 long rear ranges, that to right wth 3 cross gables and probably originally several cottages. Main front of 3 storeys. 3 windows, triple 8-and 12-pane sashes flanking central semi-circular headed window. Central entrance originally for pack horses, now with C20 glazed doors. Portico supported by wooden pillars to left and 2 Roman Doric pilasters to right with bay filled in between. Right return has curved wall, probably containing newel stair round fireplace. Ground floor room to left has C16 doorway in place of chimney and a thick wall marking probable original building line. Building recorded as Beerhouse from 1580, as the Talbot from 1685. Beneath gents toilet to back of left hand wing is large stone water cistern, about 2m deep, and approx 3m x 4m in size. In cellar in right wing is deep well with water on surface. Wing to right has 4 chimneys, some with newel stair. Beyond this wing, stable block with keyed oculus, now a skittle alley.
 

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page.
Other Photos

Click above photo to expand

Picture source: Hania Franek

Date of photo: 2010

Photo Jo Turner