Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Lincolnshire > Alford > White Horse

White Horse

Picture source: Will Larter


The White Horse was situated at 29 West Street. This grade-II listed pub is now in residential use.
It was originally owned by the adjacent Soulby, Sons & Winch's brewery (Est. 1897) and was allowed to fall into disrepair after the company was taken over by J.W. Green of Luton in 1951 and closed the following year but in 1958 it was taken over and renovated. A former resident states that in 1960 "the White Horse was then a coffee bar". In June 2001 the fire brigade turned out due to flooding in the building. On 17th July 2012 the minutes of the town council meeting report "White Horse Public House is still a cause for concern. It is understood that there are new owners who will hopefully start work on these premises. If not Planning Enforcement will". In September 2013 the White Horse appeared to be up for sale again.
Steve Turner (September 2019)
 

 
Listed building details:
Public house. C17 with early C19 alterations. Possibly originally timber frame, now painted brick and render with stucco quoins and dressings, thatched roof with raised brick coped gables and 2 gable stacks. Single storey with attics, 3 bay front, having central boarded door in fluted surround with short hood on scrolled brackets, flanked by single tripartite glazing bar sashes with splayed rusticated stucco lintels with raised key blocks. Over the door is a niche containing the figure of a white horse. To the attic are 2 through eaves dormers with thatched gables and glazing bar sliding sashes and casements.

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page.
 
Other Photos
Date of photo: 1960s

Click above photo to expand

Picture source: Stuart