Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Lincolnshire > Folkingham > Whipping Post

Whipping Post

Date of photo: 1999

Copyright Rex Needle and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence


 
The Whipping Post was situated at 13 Market Place and is now used as a chocolate manufacturer. This grade-II listed pub was previously known as The Sun Inn and then The Red Lion for over a century. The publican in 1919 was John Sensicle.
 
Until 2005 known as The Whipping Post, the pub was previously known in 1792 as The Sun Inn and then by 1842 The Red Lion for over a century. Publican in 1851 John Harmston also a Wheelwright according to the census. The Whipping Post name came about because reputedly a pillory once stood outside. The village stocks used to stand outside the gates to the graveyard of St. Andrew‟s Church. They are combined with a whipping post and were preserved inside the church. A second whipping post existed in the new House of Correction, built in 1808. I can find no evidence the pub had any connection with a whipping post.
Steve Turner (May 2017)
 

 
Listed building details:
Former coaching inn. Late C18, C20. Red brick, rendered ground floor, some limestone rubble and ashlar. Pantile mansard roof with stone coped gables. Two storeys and attic, six bay front with rubble plinth. Steps lead up to doorway on right with plain doorcase, raised keystone and partially glazed door. Three-light sliding sash to right. Three-light sliding sash to left. Two-light sliding sash to left with three-light sliding sash beyond. All the windows with raised ashlar keystones. Three-light sliding sash above to right with two two-light dummy windows to left. Three-light sliding sash to left and two-light dummy window beyond. Three-light sliding sash to left. All the windows with brick wedge lintels and raised ashlar keystones. Three flat-headed dormers with two-light sliding sashes. Single storey extension to north of three bays with doorway to left with panel door under same wooden lintel as a two-light casement immediately to left. Large fixed window with glazing bars to right and two-light C20 cross mullion casement set in blocked doorway, beyond, all the windows with brick wedge lintels with raised ashlar keystones. Three-light sliding sash above to left.
 

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page.