Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of closed or lost pubs in Grantham? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
|The area has had, in its history, pubs named
the Blue Pig, the Blue Lion, the Blue Horse, the Blue Dog, the Blue Bull,
the Blue Cow, the Blue Ram, the Blue Sheep, the Blue Lamb, and (a single
human amongst the animals) the Blue Man. (There is also a small street, Blue
Gate.) The Blue Bull, Cow, Dog, and Fox are/were all in Colsterworth, which
was part of Grantham soke when it was enclosed in 1805–1808. The Blue Pig,
Ram, and Man are/were in Grantham proper.
These names have their roots in a 19th-century political rivalry over the
membership of Parliament for the constituency of Grantham, between the
Manners family (the Duke of Rutland from Belvoir Castle) and the Brownlow
family (from Belton House). Pubs in the constituency declared political
allegiances, and acted as gathering places for supporters of political
factions. Where a person drank declared that person's political views.
The Manners family were Whigs and chose blue as their colour. They bought
several pubs and inns in the constituency, and added "blue" to their
names. People could drink "blue ale" in the "blue" pubs, which was an
inducement to vote for Whig candidates in the parliamentary elections.
Grantham also once had a Manners Arms, named after William Manners, Baronet,
which no longer exists. The Huntingtower Arms in Grantham was also named
after him. No pub was named after his son Frederick Tollemache, Liberal
member of Parliament for the constituency, by the Manners family, although a
statue to him exists in Grantham town. However, in the 20th century the
building of the defunct Co-operative department store in the town (in St
Catherine's Road) was taken over by the Wetherspoons franchise and turned
into a public house, The Tollemache.