The General Gordon was situated at The Werps, a lost village near to
Way back in 1779, Ann Adams was listed as the landlady at The Ship Inn,
Werps, and one hundred years later, in an 1879 list,
it was detailed as one of those inns and beer houses which had ceased to
exist during the last 60 years. At the time, Jonathan Jones was named as The
Ship’s landlord but no indication exists of its exact location but its very
name suggests a riverside one.