The Regent was situated
at 26 Hill Road. Built in 1857 by local businessman, baker and confectioner
John Maynard the shop was originally a bakery and later a delicatessen.
Reportedly by the 1880s it was an inn and restaurant and after 1945 a hotel
and then public house that closed in 2005. However in 1897-1902 Alfred B
Wickenden Confectioner is listed at 26 Hill Road and in 1914-1919 John Ward
Dawkins Confectioner. Prior to this there are no street numbers but in 1889
there are two or three confectioners, one being Edward Seagrave baker &
confectioner listed at Hillwood House? It was converted at a reported cost
of £5.2m (although Construction Total Solutions Ltd say their contract was
£2.6m) to 20 apartments in 2014 by architects O'Leary Goss for Freemantle
Developments and was completed in July 2015 with 5,700 sq.ft. of retail
space let to Sainsbury's Ltd. and Fizz Gallery and Framing who have been
there since at least July 2016.