» Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Surrey > Dorking > Kings Head

Kings Head

Picture source: Hania Franek

The King’s Head was in a Jacobean building with parts dating from the mid 17th century. The Old King’s Head Court at 3-11 High Street was converted for retail use and is occupied by a number of businesses. The building is grade-II listed.
Listed building details:
C17 and possibly earlier. An L-shaped building of 2 wings, one north-south, and one east-west. A small part of the building comprises No 3 High Street, but most is occupied by Arthur's the Builders and stands at the back of a yard approached from the High Street and numbered 11 in the High Street. 2 storeys. Tiled roof. Both east-west and north-south wings timber-framed; north-south wing with red brick cladding in "artisan mannerist" style on western front in North Street. 7 window bays (later addition of attic storey with one window in No 3 High Street). 6 brick pilasters rising through whole
height of building. String-course. Modillion eaves cornice. The original windows were and are casement windows of 2 tiers and 3 lights but some have been modernized; sash windows with glazing bars in No 3 High Street. Gable ends facing north-west. Tiled roof. On western side within courtyard, 3 gabled dormers (2 with original brickwork) and 2 windows with segmental arches in storey below. The building was originally the Chequers Inn, of which the name was changed in 1660 to the King's Head Inn. It was locally called the Marquis of Granby because it was thought to have served as the model for the Inn of that name kept by Tony Weller's "widder" in "The Pickwick Papers". But it ceased to have a licence between 1800 and 1850 and so was not an Inn at the time "The Pickwick Papers" was written. Fine timber-framing exposed within. Traces of mural painting in different parts of the building: on ceiling of room 5th bay from north on ground floor of north-south wing; on northern wall in room 4th window bay from north on 1st floor, and fleur-de-lys design behind brickwork in adjoining passageway.

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page.