Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Warwickshire > Birmingham > B5 > Market Tavern

Market Tavern


The Market Tavern was situated at 210-212 Moseley Street. This grade-II listed Victorian tile and terracotta pub was built in 1899/1900 and is on the CAMRA list of historic pub interiors. Also known as The Dog & Partridge.

Listed building details:
Public house. 1899-1900, with minor late C20 alterations. By Jones and Lister Lea for the Holt Brewery Company. Red brick with terracotta detailing (the terracotta thought to have been supplied by the Hathern Station Brick and Terracotta Company of Loughborough). Slate roof with coped gables. Brick axial stacks.
PLAN: Prominent corner site with main entrance (to public bar) at the angle of the 2 elevations, passage doorway to Moseley Street (left) and doorways to outdoor sales, hall and rear smoke room to Birchall Street (right). Eclectic style with Flemish and Art Nouveau detailing. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 1:1:1:1 bays to Moseley Street and 1:2 bays to Birchall Street, each elevation with steeply-pitched gables to slightly advanced bays, and with canted corner with louvred octagonal cupola above an angled oriel above a semi-circular arch-headed doorway. Terracotta-faced ground floors to left and right elevations have segmental arch-headed windows and semi-circular arch headed doorways with raised voussoirs and pilaster shafts between, and fascia and dentilled cornice above. Ground floor windows have leaded panes and stained glass. Gabled bays break forward with 3-light windows to first floor, the entablatures with arabesques and a cartouche in semi-circular pediments; narrow semi-window pedimented window between and large lunette in the gables above with raised voussoirs. Above, a pilaster extends from each key block through the gable to a finial above. Below each lunette is a strapwork apron.
INTERIOR: Minton tiled interior with frieze in public bar, passages, smoke room and stairs. Public bar has contemporary bar and arcaded bar-back with balustrade and clocks above, and mirrored panels behind. Entrance lobby to public bar, which has ceiling lined in Lincrusta paper. Smoke-room has contemporary fireplace, and decorative glass in rear window. Staircase with moulded balusters and ornate newels. First and second floors refurbished following fire damage in 1984.The building was known as the Dog and Partridge Public House from 1829 to 1984. A well-detailed and prominently sited example of an imposing turn-of-the-century Birmingham public house by an important local architectural practice specialising in public house design.

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page.
 
Other Photos

Picture source: David Gray