Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Pub

  » Contact Us

Search Amazon:

Share |

Home > Devon > Ashburton > Golden Lion

Golden Lion

Date of photo: 1960s

Picture source: "Pubs and Inns of Ashburton" by Pete Webb, Obelisk


The Golden Lion was situated at 58 East Street. This grade-II* listed pub is now used as bed and breakfast accommodation. Built by Nicholas Tripe as his mansion in 1768, it became a pub, hotel and coaching house in 1797 until it closed in 1999. Final landlord was Alan Hope, leader of The Monster Raving Loony party who moved to the Dog & Partridge, Yateley, Hampshire.
Owned by James Lloyd from 1787 and passed to his daughter Samantha, and son in law, William Barons in the 1830s.
Gordon Lloyd (March 2016)
Listed building details:
Large house, now hotel. Early or mid C18, partly remodelled and extended late C18 or early C19 (reputedly c1790 for Nicholas Tripe, surgeon). Front and back walls of painted brick; right side wall and addition to left rendered. Hipped slated roof. Rendered chimneys. Double-fronted and double-depth; centre entrance passage leading to staircase between right-hand front and back rooms. Extension to left with ballroom on first floor. 3 storeys. 5 windows wide with 1-window extension to left. Main entrance has panelled front door in moulded architrave; 4 moulded panels above, flush
panels, including a centre octagon, below. Flanking fluted pilasters supporting entablature with modillioned cornice. Upper mouldings of cornice replaced or concealed by a deep flat canopy with coffered underside (probably early C19); sides of canopy encased in late C20, but on top the older figure of a golden lion with its paw on a blue ball. At the front the canopy is supported by a large iron hoop rising from 2 painted stone columns. Windows have flat gauged arches and barred sashes in concealed frames: 8 over 8 panes in ground and second storeys, 4 over 4 panes in third storey. Front flanked by raised quoins, probably of cement. Modillioned eaves-cornice. Addition to left has windows with barred sashes: 8 over 8 panes in ground storey, 4 over 4 panes in third storey. Second storey has a variant of the Venetian window with 3 round-arched lights. Prominent boxed eaves-cornice. Side wall to right has 2 canted bays, the windows with barred sashes of 8 and 4 panes. Similar sashes in rear wall; extension with 3-light Venetian window matching that at the front. Interior: inner door with early or mid C19 moulded frame; patterned fanlight incorporating 6-sided lantern with enriched frame. Ground floor rooms and entrance passage of original part of building have original bracketed and dentilled cornices; bracketed cornice on first floor landing (rooms not inspected). C18 dog-leg staircase, its balustrade voluted at the foot; turned balusters with square necking-pieces, column-newels, shaped step-ends. Ballroom has moulded cornice;
enriched chandelier boss set in a small dome.

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photographs of this pub? Become a contributor and submit them here.
Like this site? Recommend us via the social networking share button on the left hand side of the page, or follow us on or
Were you a customer, publican or member of staff at this pub? Add your email contact details here and let past regulars get in touch.
 
Other Photos
Date of photo: 2012

Picture source: Clive Schneidau

Picture source: Clive Schneidau

Expenses incurred at an election party here in 1797

Picture source: Gordon Lloyd

Picture source: Hania Franek

Picture source: Hania Franek