Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Hampshire > Romsey > Swan Inn

Swan Inn

Picture source: Chris Levy


 
The Swan Inn was situated on the Market Place. This pub closed in 1894 and became the Conservative Working Mens Club.
 
Grade-II listed 17th century or earlier extensively renovated 1967-8. A plaque on the wall advises that the building is on the site of the Old Swan Inn and that in 1642 two of Cromwell's troops were hanged from the wrought iron sign bracket on the wall. Lord Fairfax a no-nonsense disciplinarian who stayed at the inn found the sign useful to hang deserters on, two at a time. Reputedly one of the pair managed to cut himself loose and run into a nearby alleyway, where he soon died. The Conservative Club was founded in 1883 and a Francis Frith photo of 1898 shows the building as the 'Romsey Working Men's Conservative Association', the association being formed in 1894. Whites Directory of 1895 lists John Scorey & the Swan private hotel Market Place so it seems likely the club moved in between 1895 and 1898 despite claims the Swan closed in 1894.
Steve (December 2020)
 
Listed building details:
C17 or earlier timber-framed core; recently extensively renovated (1967-8). 2-storeys and attic. Modern tile hipped roof. Attic storey in 2 sections, each section comprising a large window area with surrounding wall with hipped tile roof over. Each section cantilevered out on joists above 1st floor. Some old, possibly original timbers in ceiling and walls in western part of attic. Each section contains one 3-light casement window; colourwashed wall. Attic to left hand side returns northwards above north- west front of building. On 1st floor, modern applied timber-framing with colourwashed infilling. 3 modern 4-light casement windows with lead glazing. Moulded brick string course between 1st and ground floors. Ground floor of modern red brick on low plinth. 3 4-light modern casement windows with lead glazing; wooden lintels above each window; moulded wood frames. One window to right hand and 2 to left of doorway. Flat arched doorway; wooden door with shallow elliptical case of carved wood at top. Building has been extended on 1st 2-storeys at north-west end so that this part of the building projects beyond the attic storey and is in 2
facets. Narrower facet facing west has one 2-light casement window on each floor; wider facet facing north-west has one 4-light casement window on each floor.
 

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Contacts
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page.
Name Dates Comments
     
 
Other Photos

Picture source: David Fisher