Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Pub

  » Contact Us

Search Amazon:

Share |

Home > London > SE16 > Prince Of Orange

Prince Of Orange

Picture source: Darkstar


 
The Prince Of Orange was situated at 118 Lower Road. This pub has now been converted to flats.
Source: Terry Buck
 
The pub was named for the heir to the Dutch throne, William, the Prince of Orange (6 December 1792 17 March 1849) who became King William II of the Netherlands in 1840. Prior to inheriting the throne he had been a key player in the Napoleonic Wars, serving with the British Army from 1811 and becoming Aide de Camp to the Pince Regent in 1812, before being promoted to Major General in 1813, then to Lieutenant Colonel and then General. He fought at the Battle of Waterloo on 18th June 1815, where he was wounded He was affectionately known by the Duke of Wellington's staff as "Slender Billy." Although it doesn't have much to do with this story, a nice little factoid is that the Prince of Orange once travelled by train from London Bridge to Greenwich through Bermondsey, on the viaduct designed by Colonel George Landmann, shortly before the London and Greenwich Railway opened in 1836.
The Prince of Orange pub was opened in 1859 as a beer house, and the building is clearly Victorian. Stuart Rankin (Walk C) says that Orange Place appears in Parish Registers in 1810, so it looks as though the pub might have been named for the street rather than the more usual practice of naming a road after a pub. The same thing happened with Trinity Church in Rotherhithe's Downtown, where the church was named after Trinity Street, on which it was built in the mid 1800s. The prince, however, was only 17 in 1810, so the matter remains unclear. The pub gained its full licensed status in 1874. Orange Place was marked on the 1868 Ordnance Survey map, and terminated where it met Southwark Park. Immediately to the east of the pub was a short, narrow road which is not provided with a name on the 1868 map, but was probably built at the same time as the pub for deliveries. The road opposite, now Hoath Place, was Portland Place at that time, and both were flanked by terraced housing, as was Lower Road. By 1894 the service road for the pub had been replaced by a narrow building on the other side of which a church was established (I haven't figured out which one but it is now no longer there), Portland Place was now Hothfield Place, and tram rails had been laid along Lower Road, with a tram service passing in front of the pub.
Its landlord for some of the 1920s was Albert Matthew Mimms who remained until he died in 1933.
It was well known in the mid 1970s and 80s for being a popular live jazz venue, and amongst those who played there were (the links go to external sites) a teenage Jools Holland, the band Loose Tubes, who had their first gig at the Prince of Orange in 1984 (and whose 30th anniversary at Ronnie Scott's), Andy Graham, Chris Barber's Jazz and Blues Band, The Big Beer Band, and the short-lived but endearingly named Whip the Minister. For reasons unknown, perhaps a change in musical preferences amongst the surrounding population, it ceased to be popular and although it revived briefly as a gay venue in the 90s, it eventually closed.
Fortunately, it was converted into apartments, in the late 1990s, its name changed to Prince of Orange Court, and the conversion was very sympathetic to the exterior architecture, which was restored, retains the Prince of Orange title that was built into it, and looks terrific. The second floor was extended at the rear of the building to provide additional residential space, and this too was done very sympathetically, completely in keeping with the architecture of the reset of the building.
Andie Byrnes (January 2016)
 

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photographs of this pub? Become a contributor and submit them here.
Like this site? Recommend us via the social networking share button on the left hand side of the page, or follow us on or
Were you a customer, publican or member of staff at this pub? Add your email contact details here and let past regulars get in touch.