Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Essex > Barking

Lost Pubs In Barking, Essex

Barking dates back to 666, when a nunnery called Barking Abbey was founded there and the town grew around it. From the 14th to the 19th century Barking was an important fishing port and many of the pub's names reflect this. By the 20th century Barking was swallowed up by the expansion of London and it is now a suburb of outer East London.

Most of the information below comes from a book Barking Past and Present, written by Tony Clifford a former librarian for Barking and Dagenham and published in 1995. Tony has obtained information from a wide variety of historical sources including a survey of the manor of Barking by James I in 1609. The Manor of Barking covered a considerably larger area than modern day Barking and extended in to what is now Dagenham, Chadwell Heath. Ilford and Hainault. It is possible that some of the 17th and 18th century pubs listed below were in these areas rather than modern day Barking.

Name Year Closed Address

Albert Edward

1937 62 Cecil Avenue.

Anchor & Crown

18th c.

Anchor & Hope

West Bank.

Barge Aground

1973 Broadway.

Barge Aground


Barking Arms

25-27 Station Parade.

Barking Cross Tavern

1912 6 Fisher Street.  

Barking Dog

2022 61 Station Parade.
Black Lion

Blue Anchor

19th c. 52 Heath Street.

Brewery Tap

c2010 Ripple Road.


2009 1 Church Road.


2010 2 North Street. Now reopened as The King Bull.
Captain Cook 2009 Broadway.
Cock 19th c. East Street.
Commercial 1933 Broadway.
Cutter 19th c. Heath Street.


  Shop Row.

Duke Of Wellington

1890 Union Terrace.

Duke Of York

  East Street.

Earl Of Beaconsfield

1906 Bamford Place.  

Fishermans Arms

  28-30 Broadway.

Fishing Smack

  Abbey Road. 


1950s Broadway.

Good Intent

1950s 111 North Street.


  North Street.



Hand & Bowl

  174 Ripple Road.


2010 Ripple Road.

Hop Pole

19th c. Abbey Road.


2011 170 Gascoigne Road.

Jolly Fisherman

2019 108 North Street.

King Harry

c1907 18 North Street.

Mariners Arms

1907 Back Lane.

Peto Arms

1906 116 East Street.


Prince Albert

c1890 Axe Street.

Queens Head

1930s 16 Broadway.

Red Lion

2008 66-68 North Street.


1889 East Street.

Rose & Crown

1904 Abbey Road.

Rose & Thistle

  Heath Street.

Royal Sovereign


Royal William


Saracens Head

  Heath Street.


1950s 32 Heath Street.

Ship & Shovel

  Rippleside. Now reopened!!
Short Blue 2009 207 Bastable Avenue.


1999 78-82 Ripple Road. 


  67 Linton Road.


1906 Queens Road.

Two Fighting Cocks

  Ripple Road.
Uphall Arms c1920 117 Victoria Road.


  86 Axe Street.


1999 Alfreds Way.

Westbury Arms

2001 174 Ripple Road.

White Hart

  Shop Row.

White Hind

  North Street.

White Horse

1950s 63 North Street.

White Horse

2013 North Street.

Who'd Have Thought It

1964 Axe Street.

Winning Horse

1930s Bridge Street.

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of closed or lost pubs in Barking? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on