The White Horse was situated at 9-11 Poplar High Street.
This pub was established in 1690 and
most westerly of the 25 pubs which formerly lined Poplar High Street. In
1740 it was, scandalously,
run by a Mr & Mrs Howes, both of whom were actually female. The pub was
acquired by Trumanís Brewery in 1921 and remained in their ownership
until its closure and
demolition in 2003.
The huge, lead pub-sign,
which has a preservation order is all that remains, outside of the block of
flats which now stand on the site.